Tuesday, May 05, 2009

They Have Ways of Making Me Talk, Apparently

I had the weirdest dream while we were in Florida . . . and I usually have odd dreams, but this one was strange even for me. As with most of my dreams, it was extremely realistic even if the subject matter wasn't terribly likely to actually happen.


I dreamed that I was at a house by a lake. I've had lots of dreams that took place at this house, which is odd since as far as I can remember I've never actually been there in real life. Usually the things that happen there aren't good. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a good dream that took place at the lake house. In almost all the lake house dreams I'm there with a bunch of other people. Usually the group of people is made up of random people I know from different parts of my life - high school, college, vacations, places we go on a regular basis. I always recognize everyone in the dreams, though they don't always act like their real-life counterparts.


In this dream, most of the people were at the house together and they didn't know I was there. I think I got there late, or maybe I was trying to surprise them by showing up unexpectedly, but either way they didn't realize I was lurking outside and they all started talking about me. The first really strange thing was that they all had Russian accents. Then the things they were saying didn't make any sense. They were asking each other if they had found out anything new, and wondering if I had cracked yet. Apparently they were Russian spies and they were trying to steal information from me. They were also complaining to each other about having had to put up with me for so long, and sympathizing with each other for having to pretend to like me.


I stood by the window for a while and listened to them, and then one of them - my friend Jack, who I've known since we were in junior high - walked over and looked out and saw me. We just stood there for a second looking at each other and then I asked him if it was true. He said that it was, and told me it would be easier for me if I would just tell them what they wanted to know so they wouldn't have to hurt me. I told him that nothing I knew was worth a twenty year long plot to weasel information out of me, and he pointed a gun at me and said that there was no point in lying about it and I would talk soon enough. I turned to run away and then I woke up.


I was sad when I woke up, and I'm not sure which part was worse. The fact that everyone I knew disliked me and just pretended to be my friends in order to steal information from me or the fact that my real life isn't that interesting. I think both things are pretty sad, actually. One thing is for sure - if I ever end up at that lake house in real life I will be running away as quickly as possible. It is not a good place for me!

No comments: