Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Brief Recap. . . well, maybe not so brief, actually.

    Caradorn and I just got back from Orlando (again) and I realized that I haven't really been blogging much lately, so I thought I'd try to get some thoughts down about our most recent trip while they are still fresh in my mind.

    This trip was much more low-key than I though it would be.  I was battling migraines the whole time and had to take things much more slowly than I wanted to.  Plus, it was unbelievably hot and humid - I've never been that uncomfortable at WDW before, which made my head feel worse.  Because of this we didn't do everything I had intended to, but we still had fun.

    We left Rocket City mid-day last Wednesday and got to Orlando that night.  We spent Thursday morning at Universal Studios.  I liked it, but not as much as the "real" studios in LA.  After a brief hike through Epcot that afternoon for some creme brulee we went back to the room to crash before Halloween Horror Nights.  I enjoyed HHR, but wasn't ever particularly scared.  I did get startled and laughed quite a bit, but everything seemed to strike me as funny instead of scary.  Of course we skipped the Saw house, which I was afraid would bother me too much.  But the houses and scare zones that we did do were well done, just not scary.  I was wearing a glow in the dark Snoopy Halloween shirt, and my favorite moment was in one of the houses when some Scareactor who was supposed to be jumping out and growling at people said "I like your shirt" and then waved his arms and said "Rarrrrr".  Not too intimidating, but very cute. :)

    Friday morning we had planned to go to Islands of Adventure but ended up sleeping late and lounging around the room for a while.  We shopped for a while that afternoon  and went out to dinner before going to Bonkerz comedy Club to see our favorite comedian, Karl Anthony.  We always find him hilarious when we see him perform, but until this weekend we hadn't managed to catch his stand-up act.  He was wonderful, just as we expected.  The audience, on the other hand, was not.  Or rather, part of the audience wasn't.  I'll have to write more about that another time, but I don't know how Karl managed not to scream at them or throw things at them - I think I would have.  We stopped by a party for a bit afterwards, and I know I was probably terrible company since the migraine was trying to come back and I felt sort of dazed.  We stayed far longer than we should have, but we were really enjoying the company. (It's always nice to be around fellow Coulton fans!)  And someone gave me my very first beer from a keg - yes, I'm sure I've had beer from a keg at bars before, of course, but never at a party.  And I've never actually seen a keg before.  Caradorn had trouble believing I hadn't seen one before, and I had to remind him of what I was like in high school and college - the parties I was invited to never involved kegs.   So that was interesting. :)

    Saturday we did make it to Islands of Adventure and we enjoyed it.  We grabbed luch at Mythos, which was really good. (Mmmm - Risotto of the day. I'm drooling just thinking about it.)  We took a billion pictures of Hogwarts Castle, and I was so excited to see it that I was practically jumping up and down over it.  I kept telling Caradorn "But look - it's Hogwarts! Oh my gosh, I can't believe it's really Hogwarts! Look at it!  Look! Hogwarts!!"  I'll post some of the pictures soon.  I'm so looking forward to the opening of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter next spring.  I'll probably hyperventilate or just freeze and won't know what to do when faced with the "real" Hogwarts (and Three Broomsticks, and Zonko's, and Ollivanders. . .).  It will probably be totally overwhelming for a Harry Potter geek like me!

    Saturday afternoon we went back to Epcot for dinner and while we were there we caught the show at the UK, and met up briefly with my sister and brother-in-law.  We used to go to WDW together all the time, but in the last few years I've been going with Caradorn and The Kidd and sometimes my parents, and she and my brother in law have been going with his family most of the time.  She was with them this trip as well, so we didn't really spend any time together - we'll have to go back together sometime soon.

    Saturday night we went back to Bonkerz to see Karl Anthony again, who was hilarious.  The audience was much better this time and he was able to cover more material than the night before.  A couple of the bits had me in tears.  I'd go back to see him again in a heartbeat - he really is the funniest person I know.  (And I know I'm biased, but he was by far the funniest performer of the people that were performing that night.)

    Sunday morning we made a brief visit to the Magic Kingdom to ride Pirates and the Haunted Mansion (and to stock up on popcorn for my dad and The Kidd, and to get a Vinylmation I was regretting not getting earlier - it's wearing bowling shoes! So cute!) and then it was time to head home.  For the first time in quite a while we weren't sure when we'd be coming back to Orlando, which made me more unhappy about leaving there than I usually am. I'm always happiest when I am planning another trip to Florida.  Not having another trip on the horizon to look forward to makes me sad.

    But then today I discovered that David Copperfield will be in Tampa in January.  And of course Space Mountain will have reopened by then, and we promised The Kidd that we'd take him back as soon as we could after the reopening..  And January is usually a good time at WDW - the crowds tend to be low.  So now I'm happy again.  It's time to start planning another trip!

No comments: