Friday, December 14, 2007

It's a Wonderful Play

DreadPirate, The Kidd and I went to Orlando for my birthday last weekend. I'm a total Disney addict so the perfect birthday for me means Disney World. This time, instead of just doing the things we always do - the parks and Disney Quest - we decided to go to a play. My favorite cast member from the Adventurers Club at Pleasure Island is currently starring as George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life" and we decided to go see it.

I've never seen the movie, though I've always felt vaguely like I OUGHT to. I love most of the classic Christmas movies and specials. Peanuts, Rudolph, Frosty, Nestor, "Miracle on 34th Street". . . I love them all. I still quote the Ziggy special from years ago (Shut up you Turkeys!) and every year I'm thrilled when that cute animated "Twas the Night Before Christmas" with the mice and the clock is on. Pretty much, if it involves Christmas I love it.

"It's a Wonderful Life", on the other hand . . . I just haven't been able to make myself watch it. I don't know why, really. The more people raved about it the less I wanted to see it. I'm a little contrary that way, I guess. Plus, from all the clips I've seen of it over the years I somehow managed to misunderstand a couple of fairly important plot points - and the end result was that George Bailey went from a beloved character to someone that I could not understand anyone liking. Still, I kept feeling that I should see it sometime. It's such a part of our culture this time of year.

Once I saw that the Adventurer was going to be in the play I decided that would be the perfect compromise. I figured even if I hated the story at least I would enjoy watching him. He plays several different characters at the Club and I love all of them. We never would have gone to the play if he hadn't been in it, but we still would have enjoyed it if we had seen it without him as George. The story was better than I expected. I got teary several times, even though I knew to expect a happy ending. Our Favorite Adventurer was the best part of the play, of course, but the rest of the cast was quite good as well.

If you're going to be in the Orlando area this weekend or next weekend I highly recommend seeing "It's a Wonderful Life". I'm sorry that we're back home now or I would go see it again this weekend!

No comments: