Friday, December 21, 2007

Long Lost Twins?

I am a big fan of the Adventurers Club on Pleasure Island at Walt Disney World. The cast there is wonderful, and although I do have my particular favorites I really do like all of them. One of the newer cast members fascinates and yet repulses me, however.

The cast prefers that people not refer to them using their real names, as some of them have had problems with "overly enthusiastic fans" (AKA stalkers!) in the past. Instead, the fan community has come up with different names for them. The cast member that bothers me so much is called Mailman, after the song that he sings when he appears there.

He plays Emil Bleehall, a junior Adventurer from Ohio. Unlike the other cast members, he only plays one character so far. He isn't my favorite Emil - that would be Snoopy - but he does do a good job. I've seen him in person a couple of times and I've watched videos of him more often than that. When I see him I can't stop watching, usually with something akin to horror. His take on Emil is the most innuendo filled of any of the cast. That wouldn't bother me if he didn't look EXACTLY like one of my more religious college friends.

Chucky was DreadPirate's best friend when we met in college. We met through a religious organization on campus. I knew Chucky a bit before I met DreadPirate, but got to know him much better after DreadPirate and I were dating. He was (and still is, I assume) a great person: very likable, smart, great sense of humor.
And fairly religious. No innuendo for him. Mailman looks so much like him that it's uncanny - and to hear those words (and that song) coming out of Chucky's mouth just freaks me out to no end. It truly horrifies me.

I was reminded of this again today because Chucky and his Bride have recently adopted an adorable little girl from China, and DreadPirate sent me a link to the blog they have started about her. Included in the blog are a bunch of pictures of her - and a few of Chucky and his Bride. I was scrolling through looking at them, and when I came to the first picture of Chucky I was shocked - for a second I thought it was Mailman and I couldn't understand why he was on their blog. So now I've gone from thinking of Chucky each time I see Mailman to thinking of Mailman when I see Chucky.

I'm not including a picture of Chucky because I want to respect his privacy. BrideofChucky - and maybe even Chucky himself - might not think the resemblance is that strong. DreadPirate does see the resemblance but doesn't think they are identical. To me, it's just bizarre how much alike they seem. And now I am forever stuck with the image of Chucky singing "I don't care for keys or locks, I'll just stick it in your box . . . I'm your mailman!!!"

No comments: