Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Trip

I always feel a bit guilty when Caradorn and I go to Disney World without The Kidd. Really, though, if we weren't going there we'd be going somewhere else without him sometimes. And the things we do when we're there without him are things that he either doesn't want to do or isn't old enough for.

We went on 5 rides this trip. Yes, just 5, and it wasn't because of lines or crowds, it was just because we used our time doing other things. We did manage to do Pirates at the Magic Kingdom, the Safari at Animal Kingdom, and Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Midway Mania at Hollywood Studios (which will always be MGM to me!). No rides at Epcot, though we spent more time there than in the other parks. We mostly just wandered around enjoying the details.

We also spent time shopping at Downtown and snorkeling at Typhoon Lagoon, both of which the Kidd doesn't enjoy.

The sad part of the trip was that it was colored by the persistant rumors that two of our favorite places might close. DisneyQuest, one of the two, seems fairly safe for right now. The Cheesecake Factory-run restaurants inside are closing at the end of this month, though, and it was sad eating our last traditional meal of pizza and dessert in there.

The other rumor is that The Adventurers Club might close or change significantly. (You may remember that if you read my rant a while back about that "Night Kingdom" idiocy. It's somewhere in the archives if you missed it.) We love that place - as I may have mentioned once or twice - and I hate the thought that it might close. Still, it's not closed yet, and it has a big following, so maybe things will work out okay.

I got to see my favorite cast members this trip. Lancelot was there every night, Blondie was there two nights, and Snoopy was there two nights as well. Sunday night all three were there, and I always love the nights when that happens. Their interaction is great!

The first night there was a guy that was sleeping in the Main Salon. I didn't realize until I saw him wake up and wander away that he was holding an almost full bottle of beer the whole time, but somehow he didn't spill it. Blondie as Emil and Tiny as Otis had far too much fun with him, and I don't see how he slept through it - at one point the whole Club was yelling to wake him up, but he slept right through it. Shortly before the Hoopla he woke up and wandered into the library, where he promptly fell asleep again. Blondie was so funny when he saw sleeping guy (who had woken up again) during the Hoopla - suddenly he decided we were all just characters in the guys dream, and the lights started flashing and Blondie's voice was all distorted and he was talking about Hell. I was crying because I was laughing so hard! The same night, Hathaway pulled me into the closet/secret passage by the stage, but sadly he took me back to the table when he realized that Caradorn was my husband and not my brother.

The next night, Lancelot was Hathaway. The bit before the Hoopla was priceless, as Skunk/Otis was trying to get rid of him with a ridiculous story about missing wooden shoes and naked European women. Hathaway was obviously messing with Otis, who was having trouble making the story make any sense at all. If I hadn't loved Lancelot/Hathaway before that, I certainly would have afterward. At one point he could have helped Otis out a little bit, but instead he asked a question that made things even worse and then just sent Otis this hilarious look that said he knew full well that Otis was in trouble and just dared him to get himself out of it. It was wonderful! That night Snoopy was Emil and he sang a Jonathan Coulton song, so I was thrilled about that as well.

The third night we got to see Lancelot as Fletcher. I had seen him briefly before but Caradorn had not. During the Radiothon, Skunk/Hathaway just about fell apart after the Mayonaise bit. I don't have a clue why he found it so funny, but he just stood there for the longest time unable to talk because he was about to laugh. Annelle, my favorite current Pamelia, seemed to be having fun with it.

The last night was my favorite. Lancelot/Hathaway, Blondie/Otis, and Snoopy/Fletcher were all there. Caradorn got to be the sound effects guy for the Radio Broadcast. During the Hoopla, Hathaway did the Masochism Tango with a girl who had just turned 21. It was . . . interesting. She really got into it more than I've seen before. It was funny, but in a "things are about to go horribly wrong and this could get ugly" kind of way. The cast handled it really well, though. Plus, Fletcher was really funny when he was trying to "cool things off".

After the Hoopla, Caradorn and I stuck around for one last Kungaloosh and a few more pictures, and then went back to get ready for the trip home. It was a great trip, but far too short. I'm really looking forward to our annual Food and Wine festival trip! Of course, it's at this point after every trip that I try to convince Caradorn that, being a Rocket Scientist, he should get a job at the Cape so we could go the the World more often. It hasn't worked yet, but I'll keep trying! :)

No comments: