Monday, September 22, 2008

Blondie and Snoopy always make me laugh - even when they aren’t really there.

Caradorn and I ended up getting back to our hotel room around 2:30 or so yesterday morning after our last night at the Club. It was after 4:00 when I finally fell asleep. At 7:30, Caradorn woke up and found me shaking violently. He thought at first that I was crying and asked me if I was okay but I didn't answer. He was starting to get a bit freaked out. He finally asked me if I was even awake, and even though I still didn't answer him it did finally become obvious that I wasn't crying - I was laughing.

I wasn't awake when he first started talking to me. I have, a couple of times over the years, woken up crying after a particularly sad dream. I've also had entire conversations while still asleep. At least once I woke up screaming after a nightmare. I have never woken up laughing before this, though.

I woke up yesterday morning laughing so hard I couldn't breathe, with tears running down my face. When Caradorn asked if I was awake I couldn't even answer because I was just laughing too hard. He kept asking what was going on and I finally tried to tell him, but it was difficult (what with the not breathing and the hysterical laughter). I managed to gasp out a few words in between shreiks of laughter, which apparently didn't make any sense. Five minutes later I had calmed down enough to try to explain what was so funny.

Just before all this started I had been having a dream about the Adventurers Club, obviously inspired by something I saw there a few hours earlier. Friday and Saturday nights Mailman/Fletcher did something I had not seen at the Club before. It was basically a human version of Marvin Suggs and his Muppaphone.

(For those of you who somehow don't know about Marvin and the Muppaphone - it was a recurring skit on the Muppet Show. Marvin played an instrument like a xylophone which was made up of fuzzy little creatures. He hit them with a mallet so they would make noise. I find this hilarious! I have an action figure of Marvin and his Muppaphone which I love. Yes, I am very juvenile - thanks for noticing.)

So anyway - Fletcher did this skit with people instead of the fuzzy creatures. They sang "Witch Doctor", which Marvin also did on the Muppet Show. Apparently the skit made quite an impression on me because I dreamed about it. In my dream, though, it was slightly different. In the dream, the people involved were standing in two rows. When one was bashed on the head they were all supposed to move over one space - the front row to their left, the back row to their right. The people on the end of the row then went to the other row. The lines were made up of Blondie and some other guests at the Club. Snoopy (as Hathaway) was standing close to the stage watching. When Fletcher hit the participants, instead of doing what they were supposed to do, everyone switched spots randomly. Some people moved two spaces in one direction or the other, some ran in circles around the lines before finding a new spot, some took a step forward or backward - it was chaos. The only person in the lines who didn't move was Blondie, who just stood there with one eyebrow arched. Somehow it was obvious that it was all his fault. Fletcher didn't really react except to keep flailing his mallets.

Snoopy/Hathaway just stood there watching for a second and then said in an exasperated tone of voice "I don't even know what the hell just happened there." And then I woke up, laughing hysterically.

I don't know exactly why I found the dream so funny. Something about the look on Blondie and Snoopy's faces was just hilarious. For the rest of the day, every time I thought of the dream, I started laughing again. I am still chuckling over it today.

I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked yesterday, but it was totally worth it. I wish I could wake up laughing about Blondie and Snoopy every morning!

No comments: