Monday, September 22, 2008

We’ll miss you and we love you, and from all of us - Kungaloosh!

I was so sad when we came back from our last trip to the Adventurers Club a couple of weeks ago. Not that I expected to be happy about the impending closure, but it just felt wrong that we wouldn't be able to go back there again. I started joking on the way home from that trip that there was still time for us to go back one last time, but I didn't really think that it was a possibility. Imagine my surprise when Caradorn told me to pack my bags because we were going back for one more Adventure! I was thrilled!

Initially he had planned for us to drive down on Saturday and then back home on Sunday, but he ended up working things so we were able to go on Friday instead. The drive usually takes us around 11 hours, with a couple of stops. We made it in 9.5 hours on Friday. (Yes, we were very anxious to to get there!)

We had a great time at the Club. Friday night Blondie was Emil, Lancelot was Hathaway, and Snoopy was Graves. Saturday night Blondie was Graves, Lancelot was Otis and Snoopy was Hathaway. Our other favorite cast members - Yvette, Chipmonk Cheeks, Blade, and more - were there as well. The Club was open from 6:00-2:00 both nights and they were doing extra library shows as well as an extended Hoopla. There were two "Graveseses" and two French maids each night and Emil Bleehall's father was even visiting. We got to celebrate Halloween and Christmas and everyone sang at the Hoopla, which was a nice change.

I was so happy and excited to be back at the Club again that I didn't dwell on it being The End as much this time as last. There were only two moments that got me at all teary this time. The first was during the Christmas show, when Blondie (as Emil) sang "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". That song always gets to me, but seeing Blondie sing it while looking so serious really bothered me. The second moment was on Saturday night. To understand why this one got to me you need to remember that I first fell in love with the Club the night we first saw Snoopy as Hathaway. After the last trip, one reason I didn't feel like it ought to be the end was that I felt like our visits ought to end the way they really began - with Snoopy as Hathaway. On Saturday evening we had seen almost everyone except Snoopy, and the only two characters still unaccounted for were the second Graves and Hathaway Browne. When Hathaway walked in I had to leave the room for a minute - I had so hoped that it would be Snoopy, but it really made it feel like The End that it was him.

There were so many great moments over the course of the two nights. We got to see several songs in person for the first time and some of our favorites one last time. Blondie kept up his streak of making us laugh until we cried every single time we saw him at the Club. When we saw he was Graves on our last night we thought he wouldn't be as funny as usual, but we were wrong - he sang some Queen songs before the Radiothon in what proved to be one of the funniest (and most bizarrely random) moments we ever saw at the Club. I got to see my favorite Beezle during the the Maid's Treasure Room show - I loved hearing that accent again! We also got to see lots of familiar faces in the crowd. . . people I "know" from some of the online groups, people we have seen often during our visits over the last few years, and family and friends of the Adventurers Club cast. Even though I don't actually know many of them, I'll miss seeing all those faces at the Club.

Saturday night during the Hoopla, Hathaway changed his verse during "Oh When the Saints" and said goodbye and "Kungaloosh" to the all Adventurers who were there for the last time. As much as I hate that the Club is closing, this seemed a fitting way for our time at the Club to end. I still believe that Disney will bring back the concept again someday, though it may be greatly changed. I hope that they do it sooner rather than later, and I hope that they bring back the amazingly talented cast that makes the Club the magical place that it is. Whatever happens in the future, though, the Adventurers Club that we have loved so much for the last few years will be gone. I am glad that we got another chance to Adventure there - and this weekend was the perfect way to say goodbye

No comments: