Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Weird Encounters

We had a few weird encounters at the Club over the weekend, including one that is probably the strangest encounter I've had in a long time. I was sitting in the Main Salon, which wasn't horribly crowded yet, and a guy walked past me. As he wandered by (looking a bit unsteady) he leaned toward me and said "I'm more of a butt man, myself."

?

I'm not sure what prompted him to tell me that. Maybe he was trying to assure me that he wasn't looking down my shirt . . . not that I was too worried about that. I didn't respond except to laugh, and he just kept walking.

Later that evening the Club was much more crowded and people were crammed together in the Main Salon like sardines. We were close to an older couple who were there with their daughter and son-in-law. The man started to tell us a long, involved story about a funeral they had to go to and the daughter and her husband groaned and covered their faces. The story turned out to be a series of really bad jokes. The daughter kept apologizing for her dad and said that if we kept listening he'd never stop talking. During all this the mom didn't seem to be paying much attention to what he was saying. She made a few comments about everyone having to stand so close together and getting to know each other very well. Then Snoopy/Hathaway walked by looking quite dashing with his vampire cape on, and the mom (who appeared to be in her mid 60s) said very loudly "There's the cutie! I wouldn't mind being stuck this close to him for a while!" And while staring at him she started muttering things like "Hey, cutie, come on over here!" Her daughter looked absolutely horrified. She said "Mom!" in this really appalled tone of voice and the Mom said "Well have you seen him?!" She looked at me as though waiting for someone to agree with her and so I smiled and nodded. She looked quite happy about that. Then the daughter turned to her husband and said "See? This is why we shouldn't let them drink!"

Caradorn and I were the weird encounter for someone else on Sunday. We had stopped at a gas station when Caradorn spotted a pair of Love Bugs. Love Bugs are these annoying bugs that swarm all over Florida during some parts of the year. For the first time in forever we didn't see any at Disney World and we had really hoped to - The Kidd has to have a collection of 75 different bugs by Christmas and Love Bugs aren't ever found in Rocket City. So when we saw the Love Bugs at the gas station we really wanted to catch them. We were running around the car with a ziplock trying to grab the things. After we finally caught them, Caradorn went in to the station while I sealed up the bag and found someplace to store the bugs for the ride home. Whe he walked in to the station the clerk started laughing and said "You catch the Love Bugs?" Apparently he found us very amusing. Caradorn did explain why we wanted the bugs, but the guy still found it very funny.

Maybe he's blogging about us today! :)

No comments: