Monday, October 06, 2008

It's still Florida - just a different part

I was supposed to be at Disney World right now. We had initially planned to go there not once but twice this month. Once for a family vacation during fall break and once for an Adults only trip at the end of the month for the Tower of Terror 13K.

Obviously we are not there after all. Once they announced the closure of the Adventurers Club we decided not to renew our premium annual passes. We also decided not to go back again until The Kidd's band trip in the spring. Even though I don't have any desire to stay in a Disney owned hotel again any time soon, and even though I don't want to set foot into the shops and restaurants at Downtown Disney again, I do still like the parks and I sort of wish we were planning another trip. This is the first time that I can remember when I haven't already known when my next family trip to WDW would be. And even though we will probably still plan frequent trips to do non-Disney things in Orlando, I miss the idea of always dashing off to WDW. Most of the changes there lately have not been improvements, so it wouldn't be the same even if we were still going there as often. It's just sad to me to see this family tradition ending, but I guess that means we'll just have to start some new traditions to replace that one.

This weekend there's a Black Ship Sky concert in Orlando that I really want to go to. Of course we wouldn't have done that anyway on a family trip since even though I'm sure The Kidd would like to go he's not old enough for that yet. (And I'd prefer to think for a while longer that he wouldn't understand all of their lyrics!) Still, it's times like this that I wish we lived closer to Orlando even without the Adventurers Club. I'd love to be there to cheer on Black Ship Sky in the Battle of the Bands.

We will be in Florida for part of the week, just not the Orlando part. It turns out that Caradorn has to go to the beach for work. (Really, I'm not kidding. He actually does.) I wouldn't want him to be lonely so The Kidd and I are going to sacrifice our time to go keep him company. And of course we'll have to come up with something to do with our time while he's in meetings, so I guess we might have to swim or hang out on the beach while we wait for him to finish with work.

Oddly, we might still see another Adventurer there - last time we were at the beach, Andre, one of the former bartenders from the Club, was working at a place across the street from one of our favorite Irish pubs. We'll have to keep an eye out for him.

Time to get to work finishing trip preparations, I guess. I'm still hoping to finish Lego Batman later today but I have quite a bit to do before I can play. And then later this week I'll be relaxing on the beach in Florida. We do see lots of interesting planes flying over the beach we go to - and Hathaway Browne won't be spending all his time at the Adventurers Club anymore, so maybe I'll spot the Gypsy Moth flying over the beach!

No comments: