Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Little Big Planet

You may have noticed that I have not been posting much for the last few days. I've been busy. We got the call Friday night that our copy of Little Big Planet would be at Gamestop on Saturday. So it was early! Well, really it was late, because it didn't come out on Oct. 21 as it was supposed to. (Boo!) But it came out before Oct. 27, which was the new date. (Yay!) So I'm not sure whether I'm still irritated that they delayed it or impressed that they replaced the original disks so quickly. Maybe both. Either way, we have the game now and we love it!

Caradorn, The Kidd and I played for around 8 hours on Saturday and another 8 hours on Sunday. The only reason we didn't play more was that real life kept interfering. (Grumble, grumble.) The controls are easy and intuitive, the levels are challenging but not impossible, the Sackboys are adorable, the soundtrack is catchy . . . so far I have no complaints. None of us have even tried to get online yet, which is just as well because they turned the servers on yesterday and back off today - lots of lags and glitches, apparently, but Story Mode should keep us occupied for quite a while. We also have not tried to design any of our own levels yet, but I'm coming up with lots of ideas and I'll probably start doing that soon.

I've watched videos of other player created levels on youtube and some of them look almost as good as the Media Molecule created levels. This game has the potential to last a loooooooooooooong time with all of the user generated content that will be shared. The story mode is really only a small part of the game, but it's a really good small part so far. LBP definitely gets my vote for Game of the Year at this point. . . it has completely lived up to all the hype and I feel like we've barely scratched the surface so far.

I'm still looking forward to Animal Crossing, which comes out in a little over two weeks. I don't know what I'm going to do when it gets here, though - I don't have enough time for all these games and real life. Maybe I'll just go without sleep for a while to buy myself more gaming hours.

No comments: