Friday, October 03, 2008

They haven’t carried me away yet

I was reminded today that I haven't posted an update lately about our bizarre Africanized Butterfly infestation. They haven't gone away - if anything, there are more now than there were. I think Becky summed it up best when she got here the other day. I opened the front door to find her staring around the porch. She stood there and then said "Well, it's like 'Silence of the Lambs' out here!" And it really is kind of creepy out there at night, with all of those cocoons hanging everywhere.

During the day it's very pleasant, with all the butterflies fluttering all over the place. We seem to have reached an understanding with them. I've been rescuing them when they are about to get eaten or stepped on, and they seem to have decided not to attack us. Today when I was walking out to my car one of them fluttered over in front of my face and when I held out my hand it landed on my fingertips. I'm going to assume that means we have a truce.

No comments: