Monday, March 02, 2009

A last little bit of winter

Caradorn, The Kidd and I spent some time with family in Tennessee this past weekend. We had a great time, but somehow the weekend seemed to fly by and we didn't do everything we had planned to do.

Of course we did some Geocaching while we were there. I think we must be getting better at that. We had looked for a cache there before with no luck. We knew it was hidden somewhere on or around a train that's on display there but the last time we looked for it we couldn't find it. This time we looked for a little while and as we were deciding to give up because it was starting to rain I looked over and there it was. I can't believe we missed it last time, but I was thrilled when I found it this time.

We discovered a new favorite restaurant on Saturday. It's called Crawdaddy's, and it isn't really new. It's new to us, though. We only went because they have Buzztime trivia, which we love. The food was very good and I think we'll try to go there for trivia every time we're in Cookeville from now on.

My sister and her husband just got a new pool table, so Saturday night we went over to their place to see it. I played a couple of games with Becky, and let's just say there is no danger that I will be going pro any time soon. Actually, someone suggested that we play pool the way some people play chess - by drawing diagrams and playing one game over the course of several months - and that might not be a bad idea. I somehow managed to hit the balls in such a way that they would bounce around and end up almost exactly where they had been before I hit them. And this happened several times. Becky was much better than I was, but of course that's not saying much. She really was fairly good though. I was so bad it was almost embarrassing. Somehow I just can't see how to aim, which is especially bad since I am usually pretty good at visualizing things. And I can juggle fairly well, so I know that I do have some hand-eye coordination, but you wouldn't know it from watching me play pool.

We stayed at their house far later than we had intended to, and by the time we left it had started to sleet pretty heavily. The roads were fine, though, so we headed back to my parents house. By the time we were ready to go to sleep it was about 2:00 in the morning. We glanced outside and were quite shocked to see that it was snowing so much that it looked like a blizzard outside. We have seen very little snow over the past couple of years, so we ran to the front porch to watch it for a bit. I'm really glad no one was out driving through the neighborhood then, because I'm sure they would have found it a little strange that Caradorn and I were outside having a snowball fight in our pajamas and bare feet at that time of the morning. (Although I guess really it would have been odd no matter what time it was.) Yes, we should have taken time to change clothes and put some shoes on. But it was so late, and we weren't thinking all that clearly, and I was afraid that it would stop snowing and we would miss it. We did have fun, at least.

Now we're back home in Rocket City, and although it did snow here as well the snow didn't stick around to wait for us. It's freezing today, but by the end of the week it's supposed to be in the 70s. I guess that was probably our last taste of winter for the year. That's just as well, though. I am ready for warm weather again! Hopefully I'll be enjoying the warmth while basking in the sun in a couple of weeks, since we're heading to Orlando for Spring Break. We hinted wildly about the trip to The Kidd while we were driving home from Cookeville, but somehow he doesn't seem to have picked up on it yet. We are going to try more hinting tonight. I'm really excited about it, and I think he will be too if he ever figures out that we're going. He seems tired of the cold weather, too. And if we decide we miss the snow too much, we can always get another taste of it by riding Wild Arctic while we're at Seaworld or by spending the day at Blizzard Beach!

No comments: