Monday, July 13, 2009

It's a Conspiracy

Darth finally seems to have gotten used to having me home again. He's still sleeping on the bed, which is unusual for him, but he's not trying to keep me awake. Which is great - now I can finally sleep, right?! Wrong. Apparently I am really not supposed to be sleeping.

For whatever reason I wasn't tired enough to sleep at a reasonable time last night, so I was wide awake till around 12:00. I finally started to feel like I could fall asleep, but just as I started to feel drowsy the thunderstorm started. Apparently God, or Mother Nature, or Zeus (is he the one that throws the thunderbolts?) or whoever else is in charge of the weather decided I should stay up a little longer. Kelly (the sheltie) is afraid of storms. Horribly afraid of them. She whines and whimpers and pants and cries and tries to climb up onto the bed. But if I put her on the bed she paces and tries to jump back down to the floor.

By 12:15 the power went out. Apparently Rocket City Utilities also thinks I shouldn't be sleeping. The only way that Kelly will calm down during a storm is if she is in a room with a person and the television is on. By this point I was in the guest room with Kelly because Cardorn has to go to work ridiculously early right now and he really needed to sleep. Kelly was not happy when the power went out. After a couple of hours the storm died down, but the power didn't come back on. She is also afraid of the dark. Usually there is enough light in our house for her to be okay, but with the power out it was pitch black and that apparently made her nervous. I didn't want her to wake Caradorn up, and I also didn't want to lock her somewhere by herself because I knew she'd be terrified. And so I spent the rest of the night in the guest room with a flashlight on, listening to the radio. A few times I thought that Kelly was calm enough for me to try to sleep, but as soon as I turned one or the other off she started freaking out again. If I started to doze off with the flashlight and radio on, the radio station would suddenly play a REALLY LOUD song. I don't know what station it was - it's an old radio and I couldn't tell what I had it tuned to - but apparently whatever local station plays weird elevator music/jazz also doesn't want me sleeping.

The power did finally come back on at a little after 8:00 this morning, almost 8 hours after it went off. Sadly, The Kidd had just gotten up and the cats had decided it was time for me to get up as well. Kelly was fine by this point but it was too late for me to get any sleep. I am seriously considering trying to nap later, although maybe if I don't then I will actually be able to fall asleep early tonight.

Or at least I can try to fall asleep early. But if this really is some huge conspiracy. . .

{ which of course it must be! ;) }

. . .then I won't be able to. In that case, I am anxious to see what will happen tonight to keep me from sleeping! I'm sure it will be interesting.

No comments: