Friday, August 28, 2009

Do I see a light up ahead?

    I think that maybe - hopefully - there might be a light at the end of this tunnel after all.  In the last day or two several things have happened that give me hope that maybe all this stress really is just temporary.

    It seems Caradorn's testing has finally gained momentum and there might be an end in sight after all.  I'm so happy that our schedule might be back to normal before too terribly long.  These testing periods are really important for his program, and I do understand why they have to do them,  but they are really hard on everybody - both at work and at home.  I think everyone on his program has a really short fuse at this point and it will be better for all of them when they are done with this round of tests.  I will certainly be happier when they are over!

    I've actually started sleeping again.  I'm still really tired, but I don't feel like I'm going to slip into a coma at any moment so that's an improvement at least.  Even though I still haven't been managing to get to bed early, I haven't been lying in bed for hours trying to fall asleep.  I fall asleep pretty quickly after my head hits the pillow - which is really unusual for me even when I'm not having trouble sleeping.  I'm feeling so much better than I was even a few days ago.  It's amazing what a difference it can make to your whole day when you don't feel like a zombie.

    The Kidd - who I don't discuss all that often on here - is having a really good year at school so far.  Last year was a little rough for him.  He kept "forgetting" to do his homework (or even to write the assignment down) and we had to be really vigilant about making him keep up with his work.  Even when he did do his work, he would often lose it before he got to class. This was especially upsetting because he's extremely smart and capable of easily getting straight As, and his grades were not reflecting that at all.  It seemed like he just didn't care about school.  It was a very frustrating year and I was worried that this year would be more of the same.  Thankfully he seems to be taking school much more seriously now. 

    We have all sorts of half finished projects around the house that have been driving me crazy.  We have so much to do, but not nearly enough time.  Somehow every project we start tends to get far more complicated than we expect it to and they all take ten times longer than we anticipate.  For quite a while now I've felt like we've been in a holding pattern - we never seem to make any progress because we are always dealing with unexpected problems that crop up. We had a brief bit of success with one of our kitchen projects a few weeks ago, but then several more things popped up that needed work and I started to get discouraged again.   Finally it seems like we really are starting to make progress.  We've actually finished a couple of things recently!  Even though we still have lots to do, it feels wonderful to be able to check some things off our list.

    We reserved a room for ConGaloosh yesterday. That's something we should have done as soon as we decided to attend the event, but somehow we kept putting it off.  I think I've been a little bit afraid that I'd jinx things if we got the room.  So many things could go wrong between now and then that would keep us from going!  I am glad that we finally have started making concrete plans, though.   We can't stop moving forward just because something might go wrong.

     We are even planning another trip during October.  I have decided to be brave and check out Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios this year, and I'm actually really excited about it.  It isn't the sort of thing that I usually do, but I've looked at the pictures for the last few years and the theming looks amazing.  I also want to go see "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" at the Mad Cow Theatre.    I've wanted to see this show for a while - I've heard good things about it.  The fact that one of our favorite actors ("Snoopy")  is in this production means that we will like one character even if we don't end up loving the whole thing.  I expect to like it anyway, though - everything I've heard makes it sound like something I would enjoy.

    And finally, some good and bad news.  Gigi's Cupcakes has finally opened a store in Rocket City.  We've been hooked on these cupcakes for a while now - we always get some when we visit the Nashville area.  I am glad that they are in Rocket City now, but that does sort of pose a problem for the big "lose weight/get in shape" program that we've been trying to follow.  It's hard to lose weight when you're constantly eating cupcakes!  But we've made a rule that we can only go to Gigi's once a week (except for special occasions!) and we can't eat them on a day when we haven't exercised.  And of course it helps than I usually can't eat more than half of one of their cupcakes at a time.  Those things are huge!  There is a Merry Margarita cupcake waiting for me in the kitchen, and I plan to enjoy it while we play 1 vs. 100 on XBox Live tonight.  I know - it's a wild and crazy start to the weekend, but I'm looking forward to it. 
   
    I'm looking forward to lots of things right now, which is a nice feeling.  Especially compared to the way I felt for the last few weeks.  Life seems full of potential again!  I was so tired of just seeing the darkness stretching out ahead.  It is wonderful to finally see the light again.

No comments: